New York Hospitals Desperately Need Federal COVID-19 Relief
Released: 8/5/2020 8:31:44 AM
The Healthcare Association of New York State (HANYS) has a new video that urges federal COVID-19 relief funding for New York’s hospitals.
The message is simple: New York’s hospitals have done their job on the front lines of the COVID-19 crisis and continue to fight the pandemic; now it’s time for Congress to do their job and support our hospitals.
To advocate with Congress on the need for federal funding, go to protectnyhospitals.org.
Key message points:
- Our hospitals have incurred major expenses fighting on the frontline against COVID-19 as they’ve increased bed capacity, purchased personal protective equipment and hired needed staff. At the same time, they have experienced staggering revenue losses exacerbated by interruptions in elective procedures and reduced use of healthcare services.
- In the coming days hospitals are also facing steep repayments of advanced loans they needed to access through the Medicare program just to make ends meet.
- The approximately $9 billion in federal support received through July by New York hospitals is just a drop in the bucket compared to the financial destruction COVID-19 has left in its wake.
- This pandemic isn’t over. COVID-19 threatens to spike in New York again. Our hospitals and their patients need continued support from the federal government to remain ready to serve their communities during this pandemic and beyond.
- HANYS is advocating for more direct federal financial support and loan forgiveness, among other key priorities, to make our hospitals and health systems whole.
- We also strongly support federal aid to states and localities. The pandemic has had a devastating economic impact on the state of New York. Without federal assistance, New York’s multi-billion-dollar budget deficit could lead to drastic Medicaid cuts to healthcare providers.